Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Knowledge Management?




I had never even heard the term before a couple months ago when I was hired as a consultant to do just that. When people ask me what I do, they are inevitably impressed by the title. It certainly sounds powerful and I sort of enjoy the images it conjures up. Having recently shed most of my earthly possessions and moved across the country from New York to Los Angeles sans employment prospects, I jumped at the opportunity to expand my career horizons and shrinking wallet. Do I know how to help shepherd this corporation from institutional knowledge leakage! Sure, that doesn't sound so different from that time I had to clean up some vomit in the children's room. Can I help mitigate risk by creating a transparent organizational architecture? Um. yah . . something like the Dewey Decimal system perhaps??? Can I help them find the best vendor for the solution they seek? I have been known to do a bit of research in my time so I think I can handle that.




My library background has definitely helped and I am happy that the corporation I'm working for saw the value in that. Its been interesting adjusting not only to life in LA, but also to corporate culture. So far so good though.

No comments:

Post a Comment